The Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaboration is currently accepting applications for a Program Coordinator for Ascend WV, Morgantown.
About the Opportunity
The Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative (OEDC) seeks to leverage West Virginia’s outdoor recreation assets to stimulate and improve economic opportunities throughout the state and recognizes the need for a diverse team working in an inclusive environment to fully realize its mission. The Program Coordinator of the Ascend WV program functions as a member of the OEDC Ascend WV program team. Together, this team is responsible for implementing the Ascend WV program in the Morgantown Area and ensuring its long-term sustainability. Under the direction of the Director, the Program Coordinator has specific oversight and responsibility of the programmatic aspects of the Ascend WV program in the Morgantown Area. The incumbent shares in the planning, implementation, and management of high-quality programming to support Ascend WV program participants through their transition into the community. The employee supports outreach efforts with the community to inform, educate and engage community members and leaders about the program in order to develop a robust ecosystem of support for program participants. This position requires a high degree of collaboration with other campus units and community partners. This position requires working evenings and weekends as programs demand. This position supports WV’s outdoor economy and those with experience working in and promoting outdoor recreation are strongly encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate possesses knowledge of, and experience with, outdoor recreation in West Virginia and has a strong passion for the outdoors.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs.:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and various other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
What You’ll Do
- This position serves as the primary coordinator for the development of innovative programming that fosters a sense of community, purpose and professional collaboration while creating a connection to the community and the state. This includes professional development opportunities, socials, trips and outings, community and civic engagement opportunities, social networking and community-building initiatives for Ascend WV program participants.
- Assist with the development and lead the implementation of networking opportunities that foster connections between program participants and members of the local community.
- Assist in planning, implementing and leading annual and seasonal welcome events for incoming members.
- Plan and implementation of virtual (online) and in-person social networking opportunities.
- Develop, implement, manage and evaluate local Ascend social events and outings.
- Manage all processes associated with Ascend WV program outings and events including risk management, budget, marketing, feedback, logistics and other processes as needed.
- Coordinates with the Director, Assistant Director and other OEDC staff members as necessary to ensure processes are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Coordinates ongoing check-ins with Ascend program participants and is available to meet with remote program participants monthly to disburse program stipends.
Program Management and Development
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Ascend WV program in the Morgantown Area by researching and implementing best practices, creating innovative ideas, and evaluating the success of the program with long- and short-term metrics.
- Assist with the establishment of policies and procedures for the Ascend WV program including participant selection and program management.
- Assist in building new and enhancing existing relationships with key partners that support the implementation of the Ascend WV program.
- Works with the Director and Assistant Director to set annual goals for the Ascend WV program and ensures these goals are being met.
- Create detailed reports around the metrics gathered from program activities.
- Engage local stakeholders (residents, civic leaders, business owners, residents, etc.) in the planning and implementation of the Ascend WV program in the Morgantown Area.
- Assist in developing partnerships with local businesses and organizations (housing, restaurants and pubs, non-profits, etc.) to support the implementation of the Ascend WV program.
- Develop opportunities for remote program participants to engage with local events, leadership and service.
- Assist with the planning, set-up, use and operation of a coworking facility including an outdoor equipment loan program.
- Supervise the daily operations of the coworking space.
- Responsible for the management (inventory, check-out processes, maintenance plan) of an outdoor equipment loan program for remote program participants.
- Partner with the Director and Assistant Director on the hiring and supervision of AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers and student workers to assist with coworking space operations and programming.
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC’s mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.