POSITION SUMMARY AND OBJECTIVE
Coalfield Development seeks a Director of Reclamation & Remediation who:
- Work with Coalfield’s Chief Conservation Officer to design and launch an innovative new program which expands the sustainable Abandoned Mine Land (AML) reclamation movement centered in the coalfields of West Virginia and supported throughout Central Appalachia (WV, KY, OH, PA).
- Ensure day-to-day operational success and strategic management for a large team working across several mine land reclamation projects in the West Virginia coalfields and the broader Central Appalachia region.
- Identify and implement funding opportunities that leverage AML project developments and supports the regional strategy for reclamation in Central Appalachia. This can include, but is not limited to, navigating programs like the Abandoned Mine Land Economic Revitalization (AMLER) program, the RECLAIM Act (Revitalizing the Economy of Coal Communities by Leveraging Local Activities and Investing More), and others.
- Lead a team and supervise key staff in managing projects, workload and schedule prioritization, budget development, and coordination with other departments / teams. within the organization – including Executive, Finance, Development, and Operations.
- Support and effectively balance the priorities inherent to a program with a triple bottom line focus of people, planet, and profit.
- Inspirationally lead this new program in regions that are underserved in Appalachia.
- Contribute to the sustainable market shaping of AML reclamation throughout the region and across different organizational forms as a systems-change agent.
- Embrace and champion Workforce Development as a socially-sustainable strategy to interweave with innovative reclamation.
- Facilitate community training events and workshops.
- Understands and champions a “Just Transition” for AML communities.
Visit us online to learn more about us:
WHY WORK AT COALFIELD?
You will have a sense of purpose that can only come from serving others, being the change you want to see in the world, and being involved in creative solutions to the world’s problems.
You will feel a sense of comradery and belonging that can only come from working alongside a passionate, diverse, quirky, eclectic, and compassionate team of personally and professional invested individuals.
If this is the type of career you want, then read on.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Lead a culture of problem-solving and collaboration across multiple teams, project types, and geographic locations across the southern Coalfields of West Virginia (Cabell, Wayne, Lincoln, Logan, Mingo, McDowell counties) and support efforts across central Appalachia.
- Work with Crew Chiefs and the Development Team to support Coalfield’s workforce training / development for individuals facing barriers to employment.
- Coach project managers to ensure prioritization of tasks and schedules, while supporting efficient workflows and processes.
- Represent the organization and Conservation team with partners, local residents, and community organizations in various meeting settings – including onsite.
- Contribute to reports and speak on behalf of the “Former Mine Lands to Sustainable Mine Lands program.”
- Engage with clean reclamation communities, forums, conferences, and networks like the Reclaiming Appalachia Coalition and the Central Appalachia Network.
- Regular review of timesheets, evaluations, work logs, and other staff-related documents.
- Regular review and supervision of planned and incurred expenses across the team and various projects, alongside review of procurement processes.
- Communicate and coordinate with other team or Executive leaders, including: the CEO, CCO, COO, CFO, CPO, and CHDO.
- Lead, or participating in, team and organization-wide meetings.
- Communicate with key project and team partners
COMPETENCY – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Program design
- Program evaluation
- Knowledge of the AML reclamation sector’s opportunities and challenges:
- Experience with/knowledge of the AML Bond system forfeitures
- Experience with/knowledge of stakeholders and processes in the reclamation
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with multiple projects, locations, businesses and collaborative partners.
- Kind and professional demeanor and attitude. Must be patient and compassionate with people and issues encountered in challenging socio-economic environments. Must understand and adopt Coalfield’s theory of change and value system.
- A good sense of humor, a willingness to learn, an inquisitive mind, a willingness to innovate, and the ability to work independently
- Excellent at time management, task prioritization, and organization.
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with computers, email, Microsoft Office, and standard office equipment (phone, copier/printer, scanners, etc.).
- Support critical functions of the Mine Lands Program’s mission as an emerging program. Namely- oversee work that adheres to a triple bottom line of people, profit and planet.
- Ability to lead, manage and influence across organizations at different levels.
- Be knowledgeable of and comply with all company policies and procedures, as well as legal requirements, at all times.
- Assists with partnership coordination, including developing outreach materials, planning
and implementing partnership strategies, and representing Coalfield at partnership and
WORK LOCATION AND HOURS OF WORK
- 1-3 days of travel or remote work and at least 1-3 days in the Huntington, WV office.
- Coalfield offices are currently located in Huntington and Charleston, WV with worksites and partnerships throughout the 21 southern WV counties.
- Some travel is required to meetings and to facilitate relationships with existing and potential partners.
- The normal work week is Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Coalfield allows exempt employees to request & use flextime.
ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Extensive computer operation.
- Moving of items (up to 25 LBS with or without accommodation).
- Must be able to drive and work seated or standing at a desk and/or computer.
- Able to travel to AML sites and regions throughout WV and Central Appalachia
TRAVEL AND TRANSPORTATION REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must provide reliable transportation to their primary work location. Coalfield has a limited fleet of vehicles and frequently carpools to minimize travel burdens on employees. Travel expenses (excluding commutes) may be reimbursed per Coalfield’s policies and procedures.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Higher education degree in related field
- Certification equivalency in a the reclamation sector
- 2-4 years’ workplace experience in the reclamation sector (working in/with
Brownfields/Reclaimed Mine Lands)
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in an Environmental Reclamation Program
- Leadership experience with teams
- Design of program/business experience
Coalfield Development Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
BACKGROUND OR DRUG TEST
Candidates for this position will be required to pass a drug test as a condition of employment.
Candidates for this position will not be required to have a background check as a condition of employment.