Purpose of the Position
The Executive Director is the key management leader of the WLU Foundation. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, financial oversight, marketing, and community outreach. The Executive Director is the primary fundraiser for both the Foundation and the University and serves on the University’s leadership team to provide support and to align the WLU Foundation’s mission with the strategic direction of the University.
The Executive Director will report to the Foundation Board of Directors and work collaboratively with the University President to oversee a comprehensive Development, Stewardship, Accounting and Investment Program in an effort to advance the Foundation’s mission.
- Oversee day-to-day operations including administrative and human resources
- Serve as primary Development Officer for both the WLU Foundation and University
- Serve on University President’s leadership team
- Plan and oversee annual budget
- Monitor and plan organization cash flow needs
- Plan and approve cash disbursements for university projects and scholarships
- Oversee accounting practices
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operations
- Work closely with the Foundation Board to oversee Board development and governance
- Plan and oversee Board and Committee Meetings
- Oversee and communicate financial performance and viability
- Lead a comprehensive Development Plan to direct fiscal year activities (in collaboration with the University)
- Fundraising duties including annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, grant writing
- Develop and oversee Stewardship Program
- Develop and oversee Marketing & Communications
- Represent the Foundation at University and community events
- Work with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and outreach
- Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson to media and general public
- Supervise and collaborate with staff
- Work closely with bank and board to manage accounts and investment strategies
- Work with accountants to ensure compliance with accounting standards as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The ideal candidate should have a proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Non-profit structures, standards, and best practices
- Board development and governance
- Stewardship and donor relations
- Confidentiality concerning donor files
- Donor software systems or relevant customer relationship management
The Executive Director must demonstrate the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Transparent and high integrity leadership skills
- Ethical decision making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Donor relations skills
- Ability to convey the vision and mission of the WLU Foundation to donors, board members, community members and other stake holders
The Executive Director must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Honesty and trustworthiness
- Ethical, especially when dealing with fund management and donor intent
Required minimum education level is a bachelor’s degree with preference to business, communications, or liberal arts degrees. Master’s degree and/or CFRE are preferred.
Minimum 7+ years of relevant experience required.
The compensation for the Executive Director position will be in the range of $75,000-$100,000 and will be based on the experience and ability of the preferred candidate.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open until filled.
Please Note: This is not a state of WV position. The WLU Foundation is a separate 501c3 organization.