Generation West Virginia is seeking a Director of Impact (DOI) who will work within a dynamic workplace of talented and committed team members at Generation West Virginia. The DOI will report to and work as a partner with the Executive Director. They will be a seasoned leader and coach, with the ability to operate on strategic, managerial and hands-on levels to help guide the organization across programmatic and operational functions. This role is being created at GWV to support the growing organization and its Executive Director.
The DOI will bring proven nonprofit management expertise and experience in economic and community development programs, development/fundraising, finance, operations, and/or other relevant disciplines. The DOI must have a keen attention to detail, the ability to delegate effectively, a proven track record in motivating and unifying teams, and have solid organizational, problem-solving, and clear decision-making skills. The DOI will be comfortable with and committed to fostering the development of staff.
About Generation West Virginia
West Virginia is one of the few states in the nation with a declining population. In confronting this reality, one thing is very clear: the state’s future depends on its ability to become an ideal destination for young talent.
Generation West Virginia (GWV) is the statewide organization dedicated to attracting, retaining, and advancing young people in the Mountain State. We achieve this by:
- Developing and sustaining an activated, diverse network of young people
- Providing accessible programs and educational tools that empower and inspire young leaders
- Identifying and communicating the priorities, motivations, and needs of the next generation of West Virginians
- Supporting West Virginia’s workforce needs by connecting young people to jobs and opportunities in the Mountain State
We are working toward a vision of West Virginia where challenges are seen as opportunities, young people are drivers in our state’s future, and the Mountain State is a destination for young talent to live, work, and thrive.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively identify internal opportunities and challenges and work with the ED to address them
- Support and manage performance management processes and procedures to measure and evaluate progress within the team against organizational goals and deliverables
- Review project needs and conduct organizational analyses, making recommendations for new and/or revised operational strategies, processes, and systems to improve internal infrastructure and expand GWV’s impact and effectiveness
- Analyze organizational metrics and outcome reports to advise Executive Director in growth decisions
- Directly supervise Program Directors and cross-program staff, providing high-level input to inform programmatic decisions
- Support Program Directors in their growth and development, including supporting teams in working collaboratively across programs
- Work with the Executive Director and Program Directors to develop and evaluate program strategies and goals, including tracking and meeting grant metrics
Fundraising and Development
- Oversee and direct the implementation of an annual development plan as part of the organization’s annual budget, including strategy for individual donors, corporate sponsorships, and foundations
- Support grant writer and Program Directors with grant-writing and reporting
- Manage the implementation of Salesforce for donor tracking and process for data entry and gift-processing, with support from Operations and Program Coordinator
- Work with the Executive Director and Program Directors to develop and systemize processes for strategic partnerships that align with program needs and long-term organizational direction strategies, including attraction and retention
- Attend organization functions and events as needed to represent GWV, including partner events, workshops, etc.
You’d be great for this role if you:
- Thrive in sustaining and growing nonprofit management systems and have experience managing staff
- Have enthusiasm and proven track record for fund development
- Are excited to build the long-term roots of our growing organization, to continue and deepen our current partnerships, and identify and develop new ones
- Understand and deeply care about West Virginia — you are honest about the challenges we face and at the same time you know a future that reaches beyond “we’ve always done it this way” or “it’s good enough” is not only possible, but already happening
- You’re ready to empower a team to tackle challenges that don’t have easy answers, experiment with innovative solutions, mess up, and try again
Salary, Benefits and Where You’ll Work
The starting salary for this role is $60,000 – $65,000. GWV provides a great benefits package including, but not limited to, 100% of dental, vision, and health insurance, paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave, and flexible paid time off. GWV’s primary office is located in Charleston, West Virginia. However, as a statewide organization, we have staff located all across the state, and our day-to-day operations run remotely. While access to Charleston is important, this position can be done remotely, anywhere in West Virginia. Travel for this position will be required, and mileage reimbursement is available. Generation West Virginia is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications are due August 5. Apply at this link: https://salesforce.123formbuilder.com/form-6198208/ where you will be prompted to submit:
- Contact information
- Cover letter
- Three professional references