Title: Crew Chief
Team: Mountain Mindful Apparel
Hourly or Salary: Salary
Safety Sensitive: Yes
Starting Compensation: $55,000 Benefits Package and Paid Leave
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance – starts immediately
- Paid Time Off – available immediately
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development
- Gym Reimbursement
Reports To: Production & Events Manager
Direct Reports: WRAPS Trainees & 33-6-3 Crew Members
FLSA Status: Exempt
Time Status/Term: Full-Time
POSITION SUMMARY AND OBJECTIVE
Crew Chiefs will be responsible for the following:
- Serve as Supervisor & Mentor to WRAPS Trainees and 33-6-3 Crew Members to ensure they experience a combination of on-the-job training, professional certificate training and mentorship for 33 hours per week; work alongside to model good work ethic, mentor and coach while working, and identify opportunities for growth and learning.
- Lead Personal Development using provided curriculum for an additional 3 hours/week.
- Cooperatively coordinate training, work and personal development with your Director of Enterprise or Program and the Human Development Team; and others to ensure smooth communication and scheduling
- Facilitate engagement in in-depth mentorship to help Trainees and Crew Members overcome specific barriers to long-term employment success.
- Execute work plans.
As a Crew Chief at Coalfield Development a typical day might include the following:
- Conduct Toolbox Talks with Trainees, Crew Members, and other crew personnel to cover safety topic debrief, prepare for the day’s activities, set the day’s goals and tools/supplies needed.
- Prepare and conduct the on-site work and training.
- Meet with Trainees and Crew Members individually to coach through progress and opportunities, and/or provide structured corrective action.
- Arrange transportation and logistics to move crew to various worksites or training locations.
- Answer questions from community members about Coalfield Development and the work being done.
- Communicate with vendors or partners regarding needs of work plans.
- Assist Program and Events Manager with Trainee and Crew Member apparel training.
- Assist with various projects and community engagement events.
- Comply with safety regulations according to OSHA and Mountain Mindful safety guidelines.
- Assist with workflow and efficiency in the print shop.
- Coordinate with Mountain Mindful staff for upcoming projects, schedules, and production needs.
- Ensure quality checks for all embellished garments.
- Assist with ordering general shop supplies and maintain shop supply inventory.
- Ensure the work plan and/or enterprise goals are being met in terms of schedules, outcomes, and budgets.
- Teach the skills of the job and facilitate the achievement of learning outcomes.
- Within the values, principles, and professional & personal development themes of Coalfield, work with and mentor Trainees and Crew Members in a way that allows them to unlock their potential, power, and purpose over 33/hours each week of on-the-job training, professional certificate training, and development of professional competencies. Allowing up to 4 hours per week of individualized personal development work tailored to help Trainees overcome specific, identified barriers to long-term employment success.
- Ensure an additional 3 hours/week is spent pursuing personal development that will be a combination of Personal Development Journal work, Financial Literacy, and “Week Three” activities, depending on the week.
- Coordinate schedules to accommodate 6 hours of coursework per/week for Crew Members to pursue education and/or certification.
- Hold Trainees and Crew Members accountable for meeting expectations including attendance; uphold and administer policies and procedures; respond to organizational data collection efforts.
- Coordinate with the Enterprise/Program Director and Human Development Team to identify and schedule specific trainings; administer pre- and post- training surveys; update employee training records; conduct all evaluations, and weekly scorecards.
- Coordinate with the Human Development Team to ensure each Trainee has milestones set at any given time towards overcoming a barrier to long-term employment success, and a plan to achieve the goals. For Crew Members, they would be actively setting and working towards milestones, but the completion will be outside of work hours. Facilitating time for Trainees and Crew Members to work with the Human Development Team.
COMPETENCY – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Kind and professional demeanor and attitude. Must be patient and compassionate with people and issues encountered in challenging socio-economic environments. Must understand and adopt Coalfield’s theory of change and value system. Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with multiple foci, locations, and collaborative partners.
- Experience with adult learning principles and training techniques.
- A good sense of humor, a willingness to learn, an inquisitive mind, a willingness to innovate, and the ability to work independently.
- Experience with scheduling and managing people.
- Excellent at time management, task prioritization, and organization.
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with computers, email, Microsoft Office, Google applications and standard office equipment (phone, copier/printer, scanners, etc.).
- Equipment Selection – Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Operation and Control – Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring – Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting – Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Resource Management Skills
- Management of Financial Resources – Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Management of Material Resources – Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
- Management of Personnel Resources – Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work
- The Crew Chief will oversee the activities of a crew of up to five Trainees and Crew Members
WORK LOCATION AND HOURS OF WORK
- Mountain Mindful is in the West Edge Factory at 1040 Vernon Street Huntington, WV 25704
- Coalfield Development operates on a Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM schedule.
- Given the nature of this role – attendance at events may require work after normal hours.
ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Will primarily work in a production facility dedicated to screen-printing and embroidery services. The environment may involve exposure to ink, chemicals, and noise levels consistent with a production setting.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
- Moderate work that includes lifting objects up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Climbing, lifting, carrying, bending, and twisting and operating heavy equipment and hand-tools
- Repetitive motions such as painting, sanding, pulling weeds, folding materials, packing boxes, etc.
TRAVEL AND TRANSPORTATION REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must provide reliable transportation to their primary work location. Coalfield has a limited fleet of vehicles and frequently carpools to minimize travel burdens on employees. Travel expenses (excluding commutes) may be reimbursed per Coalfield’s policies and procedures.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- High School Diploma or GED is required; associate or bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Three plus years of experience in a job or jobs that require high levels of interaction, facilitation, coordination, management, and evaluation
Coalfield Development Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
BACKGROUND OR DRUG TEST
Candidates for this position will be required to pass a drug test as a condition of employment.
Candidates for this position will be required to have a background check as a condition of employment.
We conduct background checks to ensure the safety and security of our employees and partners. However, we understand that everyone has a past, and we believe in second chances. We evaluate each candidate case-by-case and consider the offense’s relevance to the position, and the time that has passed since it occurred. We are committed to fair chance hiring and empowering employers to fairly assess their candidates’ history.